Know Jesus. Change the World.
We are committed to empowering churches, spreading the Gospel and addressing pain and poverty in our community and the world. Here are 10 long-range goals we established:
- Centralized hub for learning for clergy and laity. (Serviam Institute).
- Plant a school in an underserved neighborhood in our Diocese.
- Through partnerships, create a network of 10 wellness centers in our churches that serve the physical health needs of communities.
- Partner with three agencies and interfaith organizations to effectively address poverty, hunger, violence.
- Reestablish effective ministry to the shut-ins, the matriarchs and patriarchs who have laid the foundation.
- Plant three Canterbury Houses with one on the Main Line.
- Establish a chaplaincy program for prison ministry and a renewed dedication toward racial healing.
- Establishment of a time line for those churches that are closed.
- Plant five “churches” in six years.
- Ordain 60 deacons in six years.
We are One Body. Together.
In the last three years, we have achieved much together. The following are some highlights of that work (updated May 2019):
- Recruited 9 priests to diocese since 2018;
- Created the Growth Development Fund to provide $1.5M to churches over 5-years;
- Re-opened 3 closed churches;
- Utilizing Data Stories we are providing data and consultation to churches to help them identify new audiences;
- Created a clergy mentorship program;
- Created partnerships with 5 universities, the Veterans Administration, the Department of Behavioral Health and the City of Philadelphia;
- Created the first moral injury support group for female veterans in the country and created mental health and Narcan trainings for the diocese;
- Launched 8 wellness centers in churches providing healthcare to students, homeless and aging populations;
- Created partnerships with accountants to provide free and/or low cost services;
- Created a process to identify and support missional churches;
- Created coalitions beyond the deanery model to support churches based on their size and unique needs;
- Engaged partners to provide free assistance with financial questions, website development, parochial reports and property management. Cheii, a company out of the Diocese of the Navajoland, has an agreement with this diocese to create free or low-cost websites for our churches.
- Facilitate vestry and leadership retreats. Annually, we lead 35-50 vestry retreats on topics such as evangelism, community engagement and changing culture;
- and on an ongoing basis we provide assistance to 52 committees/commissions.
For 2020, your diocesan staff is committed to the following goals to better serve and support you:
- Create new resources for supporting churches such 1) developing a list of qualified consultants, accountants, etc., 2) tools to support digital and in-person evangelism and 3) developing an electronic clearing house to assist churches in renting their space;
- Facilitate expansion of Wellness Centers and Veteran’s Ministries;
- Build upon previous work with children and youth to create new programs for college students and for children with special needs;
- Work proactively to prevent closure and instead work to encourage and equip our churches for new life and growth;
- Continue to develop and implement new models for church life, mission and ministry;
- Work with churches to encourage their full engagement with and financial support of the diocese;
- and continue to increase efficiency, transparency and collaboration within the Offices.