Tuesday, November 24th, 2020
On November 23, Governor Wolf issued a new order mandating, among other things, a 10% of capacity limit on all indoor gatherings. Although churches are specifically exempted from this limit (Sec 11), we have issued the following clarifications:
1) All churches are strongly encouraged to offer only virtual worship through at least Dec 13. Churches that continue to offer in-person worship should limit the number of parishioners to an absolute minimum and strongly consider holding to the 10% cap. Churches in Philadelphia are still limited to 5%.
2) Special liturgies such as weddings and funerals should be postponed if at all possible. If they are held, they must conform to the protocols as described in the letter of November 17 and to the recommended limits above.
3) Through at least Dec 13, all church meetings (vestry, committees, bible study, etc.) should be virtual.
4) Church employees should work from home as much as possible. If they must come into the office, they should follow our Protocols (page 18).
5) Unless there is extreme need, all pastoral care should be virtual.
6) Recovery Groups must comply with the 10% cap and are strongly encouraged to move to virtual meetings or if that is not possible, to meet outdoors.
7) Non-church groups, such as schools, continue to be subject to their own industry-specific regulations.